Today, McLaren drove their 2012 Supercar into the central atrium of my workplace, Central Saint Martins:
My workplace is pretty cool. The first time Ben came to meet me for lunch there, I found him waiting in the atrium.
Ben: This is where you work?
Siri: yeah… shall we go get some lunch?
Ben: How come all those times you’ve come home and moaned about what a shitty day you’ve had, you never mention that every day you walk into this vast, cathedral-like space, full of eccentrically-dressed creatives?
Siri: Um… I dunno. It sort of wears off after a while.
Ben: That guy over there has a foxtail sewn into his hair
The truth is, even when you work in the most mind-boggling places and are surrounded by interesting people doing interesting things, if you sit in the back office all day shuffling numbers on a spreadsheet and typing notes, things can get a little humdrum. Which is why I like to get out and about in the building as much as possible. It helps that a lot of what is awesome and weird happens outside my office window.
Here are some of the awesome/bizarre things I have witnessed since starting there just over a year ago:
- Vin Diesel’s trailer parked outside the window, while film Fast and Furious 6
- Vince Cable pulling up outside my window in a Prius, jumping out and shaking hands with the University’s Rector
- A van pulling up, setting up perches, and unloading 6 large birds of prey, who flew around killing pigeons
- Kiwi Olympic House building a BBQ in the square out the front. And then accidentally burning it down…
- Student fashion shoots
- Student… er, performance art?
- The Noisettes filming their latest video
- Pastel-coloured cows invading for the ice cream festival
- Grayson Perry having lunch in the canteen. In full drag
- kids going nuts for the new fountain-studded square out front (seriously, it’s N1’s premier tourist destination now)
- TEDx Central Saint Martins
- A visit from the Olympic torch relay
- Setting up for Africa Express last weekend
Okay I admit it, I love my work. Here’s to another mental year…